Costco Travel: a potential Bait and Switch Car rental????

4 of 54 Costco Travel reviews

I have tried three times to book a car through Costco car rental online reservations. Each time, I choose the car, go through the booking process, and check all the details (including, of course, the final price with all taxes, etc.) before hitting "confirm". As soon as I hit the "confirm" button, I get a pop-up message that says that my reservation is confirmed, BUT, it also says that the price has changed. When I check my email reservation confirmation, the price has gone up by 65%! (from 206.00 to 348.93). This has happened each time I tried, and with different car types.

They clearly and unambiguously state that there are cars available at a specific rate, and only upon confirmation of the booking do they disclose that the rate is NOT what they quoted, but will be an additional $142.00! That's not minor discrepancy. That is a classic example of a bait and switch scheme, in which a company advertises a low price for a product or service that is in low supply or not available.

Had this happened once, I would believe that it was just an unfortunate case of bad timing, and that I missed out on the lower price. But since this happened every time I tried to book, it is clear that they continue to advertise a price that they cannot or will not honor.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

• What I liked
      No items
  • What I disliked
    • Price change after confirmation
    • Unable to contact customer service

Reason of review:
Pricing issue
Preferred solution:
Deliver product or service ordered
Monetary loss:
Product or service
Costco Car Rental
Review category
Travel Agencies
review #919190 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Costco Travel? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 1 No 1
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
4 of 54 Costco Travel reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Post a comment to start a discussion.

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Costco Travel. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Costco Travel.
Filing a new complaint about
×