I have tried three times to book a car through Costco car rental online reservations. Each time, I choose the car, go through the booking process, and check all the details (including, of course, the final price with all taxes, etc.) before hitting "confirm". As soon as I hit the "confirm" button, I get a pop-up message that says that my reservation is confirmed, BUT, it also says that the price has changed. When I check my email reservation confirmation, the price has gone up by 65%! (from 206.00 to 348.93). This has happened each time I tried, and with different car types.
They clearly and unambiguously state that there are cars available at a specific rate, and only upon confirmation of the booking do they disclose that the rate is NOT what they quoted, but will be an additional $142.00! That's not minor discrepancy. That is a classic example of a bait and switch scheme, in which a company advertises a low price for a product or service that is in low supply or not available.
Had this happened once, I would believe that it was just an unfortunate case of bad timing, and that I missed out on the lower price. But since this happened every time I tried to book, it is clear that they continue to advertise a price that they cannot or will not honor.
More Review Details
|Discounts and Special Offers|
What I liked
What I disliked
- Price change after confirmation
- Unable to contact customer service
You May Also Like
- "We booked a condo unit in Seoul just this past June for 9 people. The title is "Celebrities areas and family, group stay" with Jay and Rana. The price was..."
- "This company will NEVER stop emailing or calling you... it doesn't matter how nicely you ask them to stop or take you off the list, or whether you threaten to..."
- "DO NOT BUY THROUGH ONETRAVEL IF YOU KNOW YOU MIGHT NEED TO CANCEL YOUR TICKET. YOU'LL ENDUP PAYING DOUBLE IN THEIR HIDDEN FEES (BESIDES THE $200 PENALTY FEES). OneTravel are so..."
- "I really like this TV. I have owned it for bout 1 year now. The thing was an impulse buy when my Samsung died on me. Didn't know what to..."
- "While the baton education and instruction was good, we experienced several large payments that we made to them failing to be applied to our account. We were in communication..."
- "My mother and I decided in October we would try American Laser Skin Care and it was the worst thing that could ever happen. In early October we went to..."
- "Power Places Tours took the deposit money from someone called Jeanette Maw of the Goodvibes website. They tried to slap on an extra surcharge and when she decided to cancel,..."
- "I purchased 2 Kensington recliners from Cymax thru Sears in June, 2015. 18 months later the leather is flaking off and the pull handle to open the reclining part is..."
- "I CAN NOT MAKE THESE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT WHAT I RECEIVED WAS NOT WHAT I ORDERED. THEY JUST KEEP TELLING ME THAT ACCORDING TO THE RECEIPT THAT MY ORDER WAS..."