Parvin K Xuk

Very Poor customer service

Very poor customer service..they even dont listen to your points. There is only one mean lady there "Renee Prengel" who only says "I am sorry" ...this is not the way of customer service definition.

Preferred solution: Price reduction

User's recommendation: dont book with costco. Here is different service than store.

Army1SSG

Poor Customer Service

Costco Travel - Poor Customer Service

When we purchased the packet we were told we had time to make changes, but when we tried to make adjustments we found out that this was the furthest from the truth. The last manager that I had contact with in reference to these issues advised that they would forward it to upper management.

Purchased the tickets on February 3rd, 2023, by February 21st we were asking to make changes to travel and were hit with a roadblock. Every time they told me that it was not possible, I reached out to their vendor and they advised that it was and that Costco needed to contact them.

Please see the communication that I had with the last manager (which is still ongoing). I have removed the contact information.

Sent on April 24th, 2024

Good Afternoon Kristen,

I was just following up, it has been 3 weeks since you sent the message.

On Tuesday, April 2, 2024, 1:14 PM,

Hello Robert,

I wanted to reach out and let you know that my management team is reviewing this, and I will follow up with you shortly.

Kristen| International Supervisor

Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2024 8:04 PM

Subject: Re: Confirmation # 43588****

Good Evening Kristen,

I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to express my firm disappointment with the service I have received regarding my recent attempts to amend my travel arrangements.

Despite my concerted efforts to rectify the situation, I have encountered significant obstacles, resulting in unnecessary inconvenience and financial strain.

To provide context, despite my repeated attempts to adjust the dates of my rail transportation, I was met with persistent challenges and unhelpful responses from your representatives. Despite the assurances provided in previous communications, I found myself unable to make the necessary changes within the stipulated time frame, leading to considerable frustration.

Moreover, the lack of clarity and consistency in the information provided by your team further compounded the issue. Contrary to what was initially communicated, I was only informed after the expiration of the specified period that I could seek assistance directly. This discrepancy reflects poorly on the training and effectiveness of your staff in handling such requests.

Notably, the dismissive attitude displayed by a supervisor named Chris during a previous interaction was particularly disheartening.

Their apparent unwillingness to explore viable solutions beyond the status quo was both discouraging and unacceptable.

Furthermore, the repercussions of this service failure extend beyond mere inconvenience. As a direct result of my inability to adjust my travel dates, I have incurred substantial additional expenses amounting to three thousand dollars for my reservation to Disney. This significant financial burden could have been mitigated had I been afforded the opportunity to modify my arrangements in a timely manner.

In light of the above, I am formally requesting an escalation of my concerns to upper management for their urgent attention and resolution. It is imperative that steps are taken to address the systemic issues underlying this disappointing experience and prevent similar occurrences in the future.

I appreciate your prompt attention to this matter and look forward to a swift and satisfactory resolution.

Sincerely,

Robert

Help Rail Europe

From:help@***.com

Wed, Mar 13 at 2:03 PM

Hello Robert,

I am sorry for the inconvenience this scenario might have caused you.

Please be informed that your London to Paris journey tickets were only exchangeable 14 days prior to the train departure date and are now non-exchangeable as per the fare conditions stated below:

Exchanges: If ticket not used, exchangeable up to 14 days before departure.

Thereafter, no exchange allowed.

However, you can get in touch with your travel agency and advise them to refund and rebook new tickets with the correct/desired train departure date for you.

Your tickets are refundable as per the fare conditions stated below:

Refunds: If ticket not used, refundable up to 14 days before train departure date. 50% refundable from 13 days up to 7 days before train departure date. Thereafter, no refund allowed.

On Saturday, March 16, 2024 at 05:58:22 PM EDT, Kristen wrote:

Hello Robert,

I apologize for the delayed reply, I am off on Thursday and Friday. I see that you called in today and made some changes to your hotels.

I wanted to reach out in case there is anything else you needed from me; I am happy to give you a call.

Kristen| International Supervisor

From: Robert

Sent: Friday, March 15, 2024 1:36 PM

To: Kristen

Subject: Confirmation # 43588****

Good Afternoon Kristen,

We spoke earlier in the week about my trip. Can you please give me a call as soon as possible?

I need to make changes to our hotel reservations. In addition, I would still like to file a grievance about my whole experience outside of you.

Robert

Loss:
Cons:
  • Transportation from airport to hotel
  • Lack of communication

Preferred solution: Some type of compensation for the lack of customer service that caused me to send extra monies to have an enjoyable vacation

User's recommendation: If you are to use them, be careful on the purchase because they do not stand behind there words.

Army1SSG

| map-marker Coral Springs, Florida

Lack of Customer Service

Costco Travel - Lack of Customer Service

I have sent the following email to the manager. She contacted me once since returning from vacation to advise upper management was reviewing, but this has been going on for over two months.

Loss:
Pros:
  • Pricing and options
Cons:
  • Customer service
  • Lack of communication

Preferred solution: Some type of compensation for the extra money that I had to pay due to lack of assistance from your representatives.

User's recommendation: Even though they can setup a good international hotel and transportation from airport to the hotel and back to the airport. They provide some discounts on touring, but that is it! They state that they will help, but once the sale is made good luck on any other help. Had to book my own air transportation because there's was inconvenient and more expenses. Do your own research and booking it will save you a lot of time and money.

Jolena N

"Read the small print"

Used Costco Travel's search engine to find an all-inclusive dream vacation to St. Lucia.

Except their programming was wrong and the resort selected was NOT all inclusive. The phone number provided by Costco Travel for out of the country issues was not in working service. Upon return from vacation (with a large unexpected expense for food and, to be fair, the first ever vacation that I've lost weight on), we contact Costco Travel to have them tell us that we should have read the small print. Wow ...

for a company that prides itself on customer care, this was not that. I will never use them again, and I will scream loud and far for all to hear me - they shouldn't use them either!

Loss:
Pros:
  • Lots of options
Cons:
  • Have to be extremely careful and do your own homework

User's recommendation: Use someone else

Livan Axg

Very disappointed!!!

I'm really disappointed with Costco Travel. I don't want to give even one star.

Their handling of the issue has left me frustrated. When I spoke to a supervisor, it was clear she needed better customer service skills. I know her name, but I am not going to mention it here. Within just three days of booking, the price shot up, and despite my polite inquiry about a possible adjustment, they refused.

I even asked about using Costco gift cards, but that was a dead end too. Spending over $7,000 on this trip, the $200 difference might not seem huge, but who would be happy that the price went down and you're not going to get that money back within only 3 days of booking. Their poor handling of the situation has left me thoroughly dissatisfied with their customer service.

It wasn't just about the $200 difference anymore; it was about their way of dealing with the customer. I won't be using Costco Travel again.

Kuldeep S Lho

Poor Pathetic and Worst customer service

Costco Travel - Poor Pathetic and Worst customer service

Vacations have a lot of emotions and excitement to celebrate your special days with friends and family.

I have been an executive member of Costco for the last 7 years. As costco customer service is always excellent and they care for their customers.

With this experience in mind, First time I have booked a New Year Eve vacation to Planet Hollywood Cancun Mexico from Dec 29th to Jan 3, 2024, with my 2 other friends.

Initially, Westjet delayed our flight 3 times and then canceled. We got a new flight, and we landed cancun on Dec 30th, and Westjet did our return on Jan 4th, 2024, instead of Jan 3rd as per the actual booking.

We called Costco customer service to update the changes due to Westjet and asked them to compensate our paid unused night of Dec 29th for Jan 3rd as per our new flight schedule. I was thinking it would be an easy change, but who knows, we have to deal with pathetic costco customer service.

We called many times and tried to reach out to a costco representative after waiting over 30-40 minutes waiting. Told them our situation and what we are looking for, but they listen and pass our call to one agent and then another and then another.

Finally, I reached a representative named Justin, told him our same situation story, and that guy hanged up my call and didn't even bother to call back.

This was worse.

We spend half of our vacation time dealing with customer care, who expected vacations like this.

We simply asked Costco to adjust our Dec 29th stay to Jan 3rd 2024 because the hotel manager said they have availability and your travel company has to send a confirmation email to change the dates which Costco did nothing about it. We paid $1100 CAD for an extra night.

Now, we are seeking a reimbursement for the Dec 29th night and a fair compensation to damages which costco has done to our vacation.

I strongly never recommend anyone to book through costco and spread my word to every single person one known of me.

If someone in Costco really care their customers, I am expecting a call back with a solution of how Costco is compensating for us.

Loss:

Preferred solution: Full refund of the extra paid night of Jan 3rd 2024 which is approx $1100 CAD and $ 1000 for the harassment and ruining our vacations.

Resolved
Maddalynn Zvz

Resolved: BAIT AND SWITCH AS TO EROSTAR CLASS OF SEATING

Updated by user Apr 05, 2024

Company fixed the issue and I have been provided with product replacement. I finally got a wonderful Costco supervisor who changed our tickets to ones promised when we booked with Costco, so it has been resolved and am happy now with Costco and service.

Original review Apr 05, 2024
We booked European trip with Costco travel, are spending close to $17,000, 3 countries, including Eurostar trains, was told we are booked in first class on trains, only to find we are not in first class, but are in premium economy which is not first class, no lounge access/priority boarding. They are refusing to switch us, keep insisting it is first class, when Eurostar's own website says it is not. Very upset, as we are two seniors who counted on priority boarding, they will offer refund, but cost to us to upgrade without Costco is ridiculous.
Cons:
  • Expensive
  • Not happy with customer service
  • Not cheap

Preferred solution: Free upgrade to first class Eurostar as promised, or a reduction in cost if we pay for upgrade ourselves, they will not help with our issue, refusing to do anything to help.

User's recommendation: Make sure you know what your are getting prior to paying for trip!

map-marker Libby, Montana

Bad experience wit Avis car rental

Booking Date: March 10, 2024

Costco Membership #: 800553****00

Member Name: MARIA CONVERY

Pick-up Date: April 21, 2024

Drop-off Date: May 01, 2024 I'm writing to let your company know that I had the worst experience ever, when renting my car on April 21 at the JFK Avis.

My Avis confirmation #

4114****US4

My Costco confirmation#

I arrived at 3:30 pm at the counter and there were at least 50 or more people waiting to rent cars. I am handicapped and was told to wait in line for 2 1/2 hours to be taken care of.

I had a reservation for 3:30 but alot of the people were just renting vehicles that day. I who couldn't stand trying to lean on my cane for support stood there pretty much in one spot for 2 1/2 hours. There were o ly two people working the counter. They did not even offer me a chair.

Why did I make a reservation if I had to stand in line for 2 hours. I've been renting cars from your company for 20 years.

When I finally got to the counter the person was rude. I can understand that he was having a bad afternoon but he could have looked up for a few minutes to make eye contact. Then he gave me my rental paperwork and without explaining what I wanted or signing he told me to go wait outside for my car.

It took another half hour to get my car outside. What kind of customer service is that for a disabled person.

If you want to keep your customers you need better customer service. I will use another car rental next time. I'm not sure if those people need more training or could use another person at the counter.

I will never recommend your company to anyone. I will take another rental from another company next time.

Maria Convery

Mariaconvery@***.com

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Get Outlook for Android

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Get Outlook for Android

Michael R Wec

Customer Service Non Existent

Flight canceled, never got email or text. Tried getting help and customer service closed. Completely stuck with no answers. Extremely angry and upset
Loss:
Pros:
  • No pros at all

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: DONT USE COSTCO TRAVEL

TKwan K

Verified Reviewer

We got kicked off our flight seats and Costco did not own up to their mistake

We picked our seats when we booked through Costco travel with United airlines and we were never informed that we were kicked off our seats. We only realized this the day before we left that we did not have assigned seats on our flights.

We found out that United airlines wanted more money to book our selected seats but no one informed us that this was an issue. We were flying with a toddler and a Costco representative said they had 3 seats available to offer us but it was aisle aisle middle. Our toddler needed a window seat for their car seat! Luckily for us, our original seats were still available for purchase but if we were traveling during busy travel season, we would have been screwed so hard by COSTCO and UNITED AIRLINES.

Someone screwed up at Costco Travel but their management did not think they did anything wrong and pretty much did not try to correct their error.

This is very unlike Costco to treat their loyal customers this way. If you traveling with seat restrictions, Id tread very carefully with Costco Travel.

Preferred solution: Costco Travel to acknowledge and do better

Lana R Xiu

Complaint

Hello, I'm disappointed with Costco travel and no longer trust doing business with the company anymore. The blatant disregard towards my concerns is egregious.

Today I tried booking a package and was told my portion due would be $961.69 and then Costco proceeded to charge me $2098.49

When I informed the agent of this based on an alert that notified me immediately the response was that they didnt know why. My credit card was locked for security purposes causing the charge to decline. Upon further investigation my bank told me it had in fact been attempted. I was told by Jay Hornsby to send a screen shot as if they didnt believe Id been charged that amount which I sent.

The response was uncaring and rude. Costco clearly doesnt value my business and its noted.

I will not be using this service again and will cancel shopping here. I expected better from this business.

Please look into the matter. Ive been an Executive Member for years and this feels disrespectful.

Loss:
Pros:
  • Still trying to discover
  • Unsure
Cons:
  • Unfair cancellation penalties
  • Lack of transparency on pricing
  • Loss of huge amounts of money with airline specificity

Preferred solution: Accountability and extended courtesy with a refund.

User's recommendation: Set alerts on you credit cards for charges and be careful with Costco Travel charges.

Parker C Pdm

Poor Customer Service

i've been trying to resolve an issue with Costco travel to the point of exhaustion with no concern or help from them. I've contacted them via email and phone numerous times regarding a travel package I purchased and was unable to complete.

They gave me an airline credit for $1136.80 usable only with AA. I tried booking a new package which I was informed would be $961.00 for my portion including the credit. When they charged my card my bank immediately notified me that a charge for $2098.00 was charged by Costco. I was still on the phone with the agent who claimed she didn't know why that happened.

She comferred with her manager who said the same. They asked me to send a screenshot to prove that and I did. I also contacted my bank who confirmed this information. Their last response via email was, "I will refer this to accounting" and then crickets.

I told them at this point I am uncomfortable booking with them as trust has been breeched. *crickets* The lack of customer service and response to this time sensitive matter is more than concerning. The lack of care towards an Executive Member or any for the matter is egregious. I don't do business with companies who are this offensive and lacking in decency.

This is a courtesy to all customers who trust this company. Beware!!Find

Pros:
  • Unknown
Cons:
  • Lack of transparency on pricing

Preferred solution: Apology

User's recommendation: Choose companies that care and, value your time and money.

map-marker Charlotte, North Carolina

Never got through to an agent

Never got to speak to anyone never got to speak with anyone never got to talk with anyone never got to speak to anybody

Travel Agencies Expert Talks

Travel Tips: Airbnb VS Traditional Renting

Oct 30, 2020

Is it safe to rent from local vacation rental owners? What are the pros and cons of Airbnb and VRBO? In this video, Mary Branum, a vacation rentals expert, and experienced homeowner, shares her insights as to how vacation rental owners can maintain good clientele, how consumers should plan a vacation, and how to protect yourself.

Read full article
Mary Branum
Mary Branum

Mary Branum is a vacation rental expert, owner of Galveston Island and President of STROAG.

map-marker Regina, Saskatchewan

SEAT SELECTION

We booked a flight and hotel package through Costco for Mexico. We had never seen the seats and I phoned both Costco and the Airline 2 months ago wondering how we get our seats.

Both Costco and the Airline said it was not their responsibility. I went on line a month ago and I was not able to book seats. I called Costco today 8 days before we leave and asked again. Costco said they couldn't make the seat selection and we better contact the Airline.

I went online and 3/4 of the plane has been booked but I was able to get 2 seats but then found out we were being charged for the seats.

We paid a lot for our trip and Costco were not upfront about any of this. We chose Costco over booking directly with the airline as we thought the whole package was being looked after...WRONG.

We will never book through Costco again and will definitely be telling people about this experience.

User's recommendation: DO NOT BOOK TRAVEL THROUGH COSTCO CANADA

Guest

If the airline you are using regularly charges for seat selection, it is always a separate charge. It is never part of the ticket price regardless if you book direct, through a third party(Expedia, Booking, etc) or part of a package.

Similar rules apply for the hotel. Parking fee, resort fee, security deposit, etc are separate. Car rental? Insurance, security deposit, roadside assistance are separate.

Also, your package is cheaper than if you booked flights direct with airline and hotel direct with the brand. Your reasoning of booking a package comes across as if you think you paid more for peace of mind. Just the opposite. As stated above you are paying less than the sum of it’s parts.

You also risk having to deal with Costco if say you miss your flight or show up a day late at hotel. That is because you are a customer of Costco Travel.

The airline or hotel has no authority to refund your money if needed. So you can be mad about seat selection charges, but EVERYONE with your class of ticket will pay extra.

Guest
reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2475643

Go book their package for air/hotel, Atlanta to Cancun. Departure 12 noon, hotel check-in 6pm EST.

Flight delayed till 4pm, you better call Costco Travel because 6pm at the hotel isn’t happening. Flight canceled at 7pm while sitting waiting for hours to taxi. Now things are a mess. You HAVE to call Costco because now you need a new ticket and you are Costco’s customer.

Anyone who booked directly with airline is in line getting face to face help. You better hurry and call. Hours for Costco are 9am-10pm m-f EST and 9am-9pm sat/sun EST. They better contact the hotel for you, otherwise you get a no-show and your room probably given away.

Booked hotel direct? Simple phone call.

No middleman. What was that about Costco handling things again?

View more comments (1)
Janice H Oad

Verified Reviewer

Costco travel made an incorrect car rental reservation for me.

I made a reservation for car rental in the UK. When I decided to change the type of vehicle, they said there were no vehicles available at that location.

I thought it was strange that they had no vehicles available, so I looked up the date. It was a Bank Holiday when most businesses close - yet I had a reservation for that date. I called Costco travel and they said there would be someone there to get our car to us. I called the branch and they said they are definitely closed and there will be no one at the branch.

This means that we cannot get to our rural airbnb easily and may have to seek alternative accommodations.

If you are traveling internationally and picking up or returning your car to a local branch, I would suggest checking the dates for that country's holidays and confirming that the branch office will be open for pick up or return dates.

Costco's computer system is now accurately showing no vehicles available, but when I booked, it was not accounting for national holidays and allowed a reservation for a date the branch was closed. If I hadn't attempted to change the vehicle type, we would have arrived to find the branch closed without any alternative arrangements made.

Loss:

Preferred solution: I would like them to program their computer so it detects National holiday closures at local branches in foreign countries. If availability is later altered, they should notify customers with existing reservations for that date .

User's recommendation: If making a reservation for vehicle rental overseas at a local branch office, make sure they are open on your pickup and return dates.

Resolved
Erline Vit

| map-marker Seattle, Washington

Resolved: Costco Travel still has not given my mother her cash reward for using Costco Travelsti

Updated by user Jan 18, 2024

Company fixed the issue and I have been provided with apology. They finally sent us the travel voucher credit that was promised.

Original review Dec 19, 2023
I've submitted a request to receive my mothers trave voucher via email (three times now!!!) and Costco Travel still HAS NOT emailed me her costco travel credit voucher. How hard are you trying to make upset me?

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article